Who do I ask for if I have questions about:

  1. Timesheets: Payroll
  2. Hours on a service agreement: Billing Services
  3. Re-scheduling a home visit: Nursing
  4. Employee pay: Payroll
  5. Seeing when a new employee can start: Client Services
  6. Spend-down questions: Billing Services
  7. Private-Pay services: Billing Services
  8. Hiring and terminating employees: HR Services
  9. Status of a background study or an application: HR Services

Common Abbreviations and Definitions:

  1. Participant/Client/Consumer = the person receiving services
  2. RP = Responsible Party, the person designated to make decisions for the consumer (sometimes this is also the consumer)
  3. PCA = Personal Care Assistant, the employee giving care
  4. QP: Qualified Professional
  5. RN/LPN: Registered nurse/ Licensed practical nurse
  6. CSG = Consumer Support Grant
  7. DHS = Department of Human Services (Minnesota state department)

How do I request a renewal when my service agreement is going to end? (For PCA Services only)

For non-waivered participants, Bella Mente sends a request on your behalf 60 days before your service agreement ends to renew your PCA services.

For waivered participants, it is the responsibility of the assigned case manager through the county and we do not send a notice to their case manager.

What does “flexible hours” or “flexible use” mean? Does that mean I choose how many hours my PCA works? (For PCA Services only)

Under the Flexible Use Option, individuals can use their approved PCA hours flexibly within a service authorization period to accommodate their varying needs and schedules. Our agency is responsible for ensuring that hours cover the entire time frame of the service agreement.

How can I change my Responsible Party?

PCA/Personal Support Services:
Please contact Nursing to complete the necessary steps to change your Responsible Party.

Can I hire an employee who is under 18 years old?

Yes, individuals who are 16 and 17 years old can be employees. As part of their application procedure, they will submit additional paperwork affirming their age. Supervision of PCA employees under 18 by a Qualified Professional must occur every 60 days until they turn 18 (not applicable for Consumer Choice employees).

Can I be an employee for my child?

PCA/Personal Support Services:
Parents can be paid once the child has turned 18. Parents or guardians of children under 18 years of age cannot be a paid employee.

How do I terminate an employee?

Submit a signed statement that the employee is no longer working, and the last day they worked/will work. It can be typed or handwritten, as long as it has the Responsible Party’s signature. This can be mailed, faxed, or dropped off to our office.

How do I hire a new employee?

Contact us for an employee application. We can mail, fax, or email it to you or the employee. We will need a cleared background study with the Department of Human Services before the employee can start work, as well as passing the MN DHS PCA test.

As this can take several days to several weeks, please submit the Background Study Form and completed I-9 to us as soon as possible. That way, we can start the process on our end while the applicant finishes the rest of the forms. As always, if you have any questions, please call and ask for HR.

**Note: As federal and state forms change often, please don’t use applications you have left over. This could delay the application process.